Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Campaign Against Aso-Ebi In Igbo Society Launches..Cool Or Not?

Hi friends, hope you had a swell night. I follow Mr. Uche Ezechukwu on facebook, he shares some of the most interesting status updates on the platform, the following is no exemption. You might find it quite amusing especially if you are a lady planning a wedding or any other ceremony in the near future. Here's the status:
"How many 'patriots' are willing to join me in the campaign I want to inaugurate against the Aso Ebi 'madness' that has crept into the Igbo society and is impoverishing and putting families under intense pressure and stress. Many women can do anything to get these Aso-Ebi uniforms, the regularity of which is getting alarming. Biko, do you think that this intended campaign is misguided, especially if I inform you that I intend to launch it from my own home?"
I'm sure alot of men will be quick to support him but y'all girls/women, what do you think? Will this fly in the face of all the aso-ebi you've bought for other people's parties? I believe the reason anyone would buy them is simple, it's an investment for when you do have an event of your own, those you bought theirs will buy yours too when it's time for it, no?
I'd like your candid opinion, should Mr. Uche take this campaign serious (well he is serious about it tho) or should he let sleeping dogs lie.. Winks.

I know I want Aso-Ebi for my big day, and may FG or Lagos State Government not wakeup one day banning them.. LOL.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WEN I WAS YOUNGER, D PPLE GETTIN MARRIED BUY D ASOEBI AND DISTRIBUTE TO THE PPLE THEY WANT TO GIVE IT TO...THESE DAYS ME WEY WAN DO BRIDAL TRAIN 4 U..NA ME GO STILL WASTE MY MONEY BUY CLOTH...IF U CNT GIVE IT TO THE PPLE FOR FREE, SCRAP THE DAMN THING!

Anonymous said...

Asoebi is a good culture for the Yorubas but for the Igbos I am still wondering. I remember when I was growing up in the east, the only thing that make so many people to sow the same type of cloth for a ceremony is death and the cloths are always ugly because they are mourning dresses which one does not use after the mourning period. Later people started buying cloths for people to wear on their weddings but these days people are subjected to spending money on cloths they may not even like just to please the celebrant. I have bought ashoebi from colleagues and friends here in Lagos and at the end I cant wear the cloth. I don't think any law should be made or any opinion pushed unnecessarily concerning this issue. It is a free world, if you want to buy the ashoebi then do it if you dont then say no. its a free world.

Anonymous said...

I am a lady and I have never liked or supported the idea. My friends and family including my in laws know I do not buy or wear Aso -Ebi so they never bring it to me. It simply creates unneccessary financial burden for people who are addicted to it.

I simply wear whatever I like to events!